Friday, July 4, 2014

What's A Camtasia??

There are many technological tools available to us that can make us more productive in our work and personal lives.  One of the tools that I find useful both in my work life as well as in my personal life is Camtasia, available from TechSmith.  Camtasia is an excellent tool that will allow you to record the information from your computer screen, as well as add sound, additional video, and do editing to your final product.  My first involvement with Camtasia came when I was putting together compliance educational presentations during my time as a compliance officer.  Many staff were unable to attend presentations in person but are required to receive their mandatory annual education.  By providing pre-recorded educational sessions recorded via Camtasia, I was able to allow staff to take the sessions posted on the institutions Intranet at their leisure, and then simply take a short quiz and submit in order to receive credit for the training. 

I enjoyed using the product and began using it for personal reasons as well, such as building movies for family occasions. It is always fun to embarrass your teenage children with movies of them at birthdays and holidays, and this is a great way to do so!

I eventually began using Camtasia in my teaching as well, as I was teaching online through a Blackboard based system and found it to have a few more features and be a bit more user friendly for building ‘lecture’ videos than Blackboard Elluminate.   You can build videos and upload to YouTube, edit with various animation and video effects, and even build in quizzes and surveys directly into your video (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia-pc-mac-comparison.html). 

These are obviously great upsides of Camtasia, and there are many.  The biggest downside is the cost.  It is $99, so it is not a ‘cheap’ option, although with the education discount it does bring the price down to $75.  They do also offer a free trial in order to allow people to try it out and see if it works for them.  If you are only doing short videos and only need a true screen recorder, Jing is another program produced by Techsmith that does the job quite well and is available for free.  The maximum length of a Jing video is five minutes, so anything longer than that would require a different product.

I like to use other tools in conjunction with Camtasia, particularly Prezi.  I will often use Prezi presentations on my screen, which I will then ‘narrate’ for my students to create a lecture type format.  Prezi can provide a great alternative to Powerpoint, which can become dry and mundane after a while.  Prezi is new and exciting for students, and can help to liven things up a bit.  I also like to mix in Ted videos as well, perhaps including ‘snippets’ or links to important videos for students. 


Web 2.0 has created an entirely new world of connectivity – two way communication between all of us.  These tools can help us to get our messages our effectively.

6 comments:

  1. I gotta admit, I have never heard of Camtasia. I really did think that I was in the know. Not now. I had no idea what this tool did. Thanks for bringing this cool tool to my attention.

    So, after reading your post and learning more about this tool, I see how it could be super helpful in training sessions. In particular, I can see how this could be used by the Human Resources staff at Metro State. They go through so many presentations to new staff as well as current staff about what to do and when to do it that a tool like this could come in very handy.

    JK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, i have never heard of this product. But Camtasia would be an excellent product to utilize in my classroom. Also, I think implementing Jing with assignments would keep my students attention. Camtasia could be an inexpensive product that provides an abundance of opportunities for differentiated learning for my students. I liked how you utilized this product for staff educational settings. I like that you mentioned this product for personal use. I think technology is beneficial when you can see the multiple uses. I am definitely going to search for this product for the fall in my first grade class. It will change the way I deliver lessons and instruction for my students!
    Thank you for your insights this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. As you know, Camtasia is my go-to tool as well.

    I frequently have my students create screencasts for assignments ... but cost is a factor. I was suggesting Jing, but have shifted this year to Screencast-O-Matic. Very simple and unlike Jing, no download required.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I do enjoy Camtasia, as it is a great option to use. I am currently without Camtasia on my machine as I just moved from Windows to Mac a short while ago (and I've been too cheap to buy it!). I do need to purchase it again for Mac as I do miss not having it, and Jing doesn't always cut it. I will have to check out Screencast-O-Matic though - the constant yellow bubble at the top of the screen from Jing is quite irritating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camtasia is an interesting tool that I had not used before. For college classes we use adobe audition and avid pro tools. These tools are quite expensive but I am very comfortable with their GUI’s. Like several of these tools we researched I had not thought of the educational applications and I will definatley put a few of these in my kit bag. The only real question I have is , are educational discounts enough these days? I mean many of these tools are expensive.
    Most of the software I use if the school doesn’t pay for it I generally find a code or not at all. In one of Shirkys talks he mentions that the internet needs to stay free and that we can all work to improve these tools collaboratively. Do you think that these educational tools need to be free?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be great if it were all free? That's my challenge right now - the reason I was unable to show a 'demonstration' of Camstasia as I'm not currently using it. I don't have a copy on my machine as the last time I used it on my personal machine I was a PC, and now I'm a Mac. However, just like my business (healthcare), is it the internet an 'entitlement'? Are we somehow entitled to receive all of this 'stuff' for free? Great example - beer. I love beer - lots of beer, all kinds of beer, and I love to track the types of beer I drink and compare my beer to my friends, and discuss my beer drinking with friends. I use an app called Untapped, and it's free which absolutely shocks me. It's a pretty slick app, and I'd gladly pay for it. I'm able to check in every beer that I drink, comment on the beers that I drink, get badges for drinking different types of beers, and compare beers with my Untapped friends. Why is Untapped free? Not a clue - but I'm happy that it is, but I'd be happy to throw a few bucks to the creators. My husband spends hours writing code for our website. Why should those that spend so much time writing this code have to do it for free? Why are beer apps free and educational tools $75? Crazy...

    ReplyDelete