Wednesday, August 13, 2014

So much learned in such a short period of time!

Wow!  What an amazing eight weeks it has been!  We have truly learned an enormous amount of information in this short period of time, from simply looking at various technological tools available to leaders like Camtasia and Edmodo to reviewing how technology affects the workplace overall.   The new work of the “Networked Worker” has created a setting where many of us are at work, even when we are away from our desk, with our families or friends, enjoying our free time.  We are checking e-mail, taking phone calls from clients or students, or simply checking information on the web about a project we may be working on.  Being networked can mean you are always at work, if not managed properly. 

There are a few main takeaways that I have gathered from this course.  First, as workers and leaders become more and more networked, it is vital for leaders to be cognizant of this from a management perspective.   Putting in significant extra hours can lead to burnout, per this journal article from Personnel Today.  When unable to separate your 9-5 job and personal time due to technological assistants, one is more likely to burn out.  Making it more difficult is a leader that pressures staff to put in these extra hours.  Leaders may encourage the use of technology to make life easier, but do not force staff to take e-mails, phone calls, and do work after hours.  Allow staff to have that separate time away from their work so that they remain happy and healthy employees.

Another area that is an important takeaway I discussed in my blog last week.  There are many new and exciting technologies available to leaders in their various professional areas.  In health care, there is always a vendor coming in to sell a new software product that will revolutionize the industry, or a new treatment technology such as a scanner or a surgical robot.  The first step in looking to implement any new technology needs to be education.  How are we performing this task now?  Is it working well?  The next step should be completing a solid cost benefit analysis.  Will be benefits of this new technology outweigh the costs?  In some cases, the benefits will be higher revenue, so these will be easy to see.  In other cases, the benefits will be more efficiency or a longer term decrease in cost, so these will likely be more difficult to measure.  Ultimately making that cost benefit decision is crucial to the implementation of any new technology in most settings.

On a side note, I completely ‘swore off’ of all social media this week.  Although I don’t admit it much, my family is very into stock car racing, specifically sprint car racing.   I was a photographer and freelance writer for NASCAR and Speedway Illustrated, in a previous life.   A terrible tragedy occurred this past weekend involving a young driver and another driver close to our family.  After seeing some of the horrific things posted on Facebook and Twitter, I decided that I needed to take a break from being around people that could treat human beings they’d never met in such a manner.  Two days later, one of my favorite actors and comedians, Robin Williams sadly took his own life.  Again, I hear on the news stories of how his daughter is receiving horrible ‘doctored’ photographs of her father from people on Twitter and Instagram and is forced to shut down her accounts.   I’m reminded of a line from Patch Adams, one of my favorite Robin Williams movies.  He is on a cliff, ironically contemplating suicide, talking to God.   “Maybe you should have had just a few more brainstorming sessions prior to creation. You rested on the seventh day, maybe you should have spent that day on compassion.”


There is greatness to be harvested from the web, but a great deal of negativity and evil as well, just as there is in the population overall.  It’s all about finding that balance, what is good, and what is not. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. I fully understand your comments about social media. We as a society are still coming to terms with the ethical and compassionate use of this form of communication. Being from Richmond VA, I hear the NASCAR news every day, so think I know the tragedy to which you speak. Sorry about the issue ... and sorry others have been so mean spirited in response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point on the "always on" nature of our society. I forgot to address that in my post. I have my phone on 24/7. I can't tell you the last time I had my phone off for more than a day. That includes trips to the mountains! I am always connected. Also, there is always a camera on. There is no hiding anymore. Privacy is moving to be a thing of the past. We need to find a way to balance all of these changing things. It is going to take true leadership to be able to find and mark the boundaries. Thanks for your post.

    JK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree, there was so much information in a short span of time! The importance of a “networked worker” struck me as an essential takeaway from this class. Yet, being a networked worked keeps us contacted at all times and there is no way to “unplug” from work obligations. I can understand that you say it can lead to “burnout” because we can constantly be contacted via email, Skype and other technology right from our phones and iPads or other tablets.
    I was saddened too with the passing of Robin Williams. On my Facebook feed, I was fascinated to see the togetherness and compassion for Mr. Williams. It opened the conversation about mental health issues and concerns that we can’t always see. Yet, the web is can be an evil creature lurking through social media and tearing people apart. We definitely have to find the balance and make the web work for positive gains and growth!

    Thank you for your insights in the last week! Good luck with the rest of your program!

    Tanishia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! There is so much good that can come from social media and the web overall. It just needs to be harnessed. As I've had time to reflect upon it, it really just mirrors our population overall. There is amazing kindness and terrible evil. There are people that can be friendly one moment and despicable the next. We must just take it for what it is, and manage it appropriately. Plus, I must say that this course has 're-stoked' my interest in blogging, and I hope to get back into my food and sports blog once I'm done with school, perhaps even sooner.

    I have however learned so much from this course on how to observe and manage a great deal of technology and the web from a leadership perspective, something I don't consider very often. Thanks again everyone for your commentary! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete